David A. Seglin
Designed as a palazzo in the English Renaissance style by the architectural firm of Schmidt Garden & Martin, The Chandler was built in 1910 by developer Buckingham Chandler as part of a movement toward luxurious apartments that was just beginning at the time on the Gold Coast. The building, which had been expanded to eight apartments when a seventh floor was added in 1914, was cut up into 31 rental units in 1955.
A wrought-iron entrance canopy with a copper roof frame the bronze front door. A marble main staircase with wrought-iron and mahogany railings lead to an inner courtyard with a fountain. Careful restoration of wood paneled Dining rooms, hand-carved marble fireplaces, marble window sills and oval-shaped drawing rooms were returned to their original state and fitted with the modern essentials for 12 condominium units. The 12 units include two new dwellings on the first floor, which originally were utility spaces, wine cellars and bedrooms for the building’s support staff, and duplex units on the top two floors. Dwelling unit sizes range from 1,231 to 4,249 square feet.