David A. Seglin
Chicago Landmark Award for Preservation Excellence, 2008
New Homes Magazine – “Chicago’s Best New Loft, 2007”
Located along the historic stretch of S. Michigan Avenue known as Motor Row, the rehabilitation of three historic buildings into 51 loft residences brings new life to these previously neglected structures. Freedom of space and light prevail in the redesign of these automobile dealership buildings. Originally designed by Holabird & Roche and built between 1911 and 1915, they now offer extra-high ceilings, private outdoor areas, upper level mezzanines and indoor parking.
The historic quality of the three buildings is maintained through replication of original widows and masonry details. Every detail attempts to restore the original character of the exterior to its original configuration while also providing a comfortable and inviting image for the new residential use. The newly sandblasted heavy timber and masonry interior construction compliments the spacious loft environment of each dwelling. Individual units contain a Kitchen and Bathroom core while a number of units take advantage of steel balconies, interior courtyards and second story mezzanines. Private and common roof decks and balconies are provided, giving all residents access to exterior space.