David A. Seglin
One of several surviving stately single family residences in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood stands the former Playboy Mansion at 1340 N. State Parkway. Designed by architect James Gamble Rogers, best known for his academic commissions throughout the country, Mr. Rogers was responsible for many Gothic revival structures at Yale, Columbia and Northwestern Universities.
Designed in 1908 as a 72-room home for Dr. George Snow Isham, The Mansion was later owned by Playboy Enterprises and for many years served as the original Playboy Mansion. In 1985, it was leased to the School of the Art Institute for classes and student housing and in 1993 it was restored and converted into seven luxurious condominiums ranging in size from 3,400 SF to 7,490 SF.
The meticulous restoration and addition into seven condominium dwellings are enhanced with the stately presence of the original structure. Each dwelling is designed with gracious rooms, abundant natural light and private terraces or yards. Enclosed parking is provided in the Basement.
The entire building was carefully restored to its original state and fitted with the essentials for modern living. The sculpted iron entry gates and marble foyer were restored. A spectacular hand carved wood staircase in the common hallway was repaired. A center light court was re-established, bringing natural light into the depths of the building.
A new elevator was installed and all mechanical systems were replaced. The result is a restoration of a home that recalls the lifestyle of the early 1900’s brought up to date for the next hundred years.